Sunday, January 16, 2011

ON GETTING INTO LOCAL POLITICS


In my blog of August 10, I reported my dialogue with Councilman
Jose Huizar in answering his question about how a transplanted New
York Jew feels about living in a largely Latino neighborhood. Since
then, I have become a Huizar groupie, in the sense that I monitor and
support his neighborhood initiatives which are many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Huizar

Although one would hope that Huizar would run unopposed, that is not
the case. He is being opposed by Rudy Martinez of A&E's "Flip this House"
fame.  Martinez describes himself as a "self-made businessman" approaching
the race as an outsider.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/10/businessman-rudy-martinez-donates-150000-to-campaign-to-unseat-la-councilman-jose-huizar.html

I have heard that polls indicate that Huizar is leading by 95%.

Since there are approximately two hundred residents and two hundred
employees at Hollenbeck Palms, I told Councilman Huizar that I hoped
to deliver two hundred votes. Grateful, he said, "That's a precinct."

On January 8, I attended the campaign kick off. It was held in the side yard
of a house that appears to serve as a Democratic Party neighborhood
headquarters. There must have been at least 500 people standing and listening
attentively to a parade of civic officials singing Councilman Huizar's praises.
The audience was primarily Mexican American reflecting the neighborhood's
dominant ehnic group.

 
From left to right: Myself, Councilman Jose Huizar, Nissim Leon.



From left to right: Myself, Nissim Leon, founder of Boyle Heights Wolfpack
football support organization, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, Aba Ramirez, UC Davis Extension, nutritionist.


Hardly knowing anyone, I did my best to strike up conversations with
congenial and friendly fellow standees. I met the coach of the local high
school's football team. I met a woman who shared her aspirations of
seeing one of her sons attend an Ivy League college. As I asked another
stranger what he did, he said: "I'm the mayor!"

No comments:

Post a Comment